The 2022/23 season of the Spanish Segunda División (AKA LaLiga 2 or LaLiga SmartBank) sees Levante, Alavés and Granada drop down from the top flight following relegation. Meanwhile Racing Santander, Albacete, Villarreal B and for the first time FC Andorra feature after coming up from the Primera RFEF. We will have Spanish Segunda División predictions for every game this season plus full match previews for some fixtures. We also have season predictions for every club at the bottom of this page.
Segunda División Predictions 2022/23 – Matchday 26 Fixtures
Friday 3rd February 2023
21:00 – Malaga 1-1 Real Oviedo
Saturday 4th February 2023
16:15 – Leganes 0-0 Sporting Gijon
16:15 – Huesca 1-1 Mirandes
18:30 – Tenerife 0-0 Albacete
21:00 – Alaves 1-0 Eibar
Sunday 5th February 2023
14:00 – Villarreal B 2-1 Granada
16:15 – FC Andorra 0-1 Zaragoza
18:30 – FC Cartagena 1-1 Levante
18:30 – Ponferradina 2-1 Racing
21:00 – Lugo 1-0 Ibiza
Monday 6th February 2023
21:00 – Burgos 1-2 Las Palmas
All kick-offs are Spanish Mainland Time (CET).
Our Segunda División predictions will usually be posted either on Thursday or Friday before a regular weekend matchday and on Mondays if it’s midweek. Please note they are not designed to be betting tips and absolutely no profits are guaranteed if you’re using them to bet on LaLiga SmartBank matches. If you’re betting on Spanish football, always do so responsibly and never stake more than you can afford to lose. BeGambleAware has some good advice on the dangers of gambling and how to bet safely.
LaLiga SmartBank 2022/23 Season Predictions
Below, we’ve outlined the key summer transfer activity at each club and some reasoning to back up our season prediction for each Segunda División team (written after matchday 6). This is typically a very tight league though with many relatively evenly matched teams and there’s often not much to separate the sides fighting to avoid being sucked into the relegation zone from those chasing the play-offs.
For each club, we’ve also included a Sorare fantasy star based on their average scores on the fantasy football platform which will cover the Spanish Segunda División in full for the first time this season. Sign up to Sorare here to get involved and start using your knowledge of the league to compete in fantasy contests and win prizes!
- Last Season: 19th (Primera)
- Notable Signings: Wesley Moraes, Vicente Iborra
- Fantasy Star: José Campaña
- Segunda División 2022/23 Prediction: 1st
With everyone fit, Levante’s first XI feels more like it belongs in the Primera rather than the Segunda División. While club legend Jose Luis Morales did leave in the summer, Levante managed to hold on to the likes of José Campaña, Jorge De Frutos, Pepelu and Rúben Vezo. The addition of Vicente Iborra further strengthens their spine and that extra quality should eventually be telling.
- Last Season: 4th
- Notable Signings: Sandro Ramirez, Marvin Park, Sidnei
- Fantasy Star: Jonathan Viera
- Segunda División 2022/23 Prediction: 2nd
Defeated by Canary Islands rivals Tenerife in the play-offs last season, it feels like this may be Las Palmas’ year. Even with numerous injury absentees, they have made a flying start. Their possession-based approach ensures their opponents see little of the ball and a series of strong summer additions may help push them over the line to secure a top flight return.
- Last Season: 18th (Primera)
- Notable Signings: José Callejón, Andre Ferreira, Oscar Melendo
- Fantasy Star: Andre Ferreira
- Segunda División 2022/23 Prediction: 3rd
A bit like Levante, Granada went down with a squad that in truth had enough quality to stay afloat giving them a strong base from which to attack the second tier, despite a few notable departures. They’ve signed no fewer than four defenders from Getafe this summer in a bid to improve their backline while former Spain international José Callejón is an eyecatching attacking addition. Aitor Karanka has a lot of options and his team certainly should be in the automatic promotion race.
- Last Season: 20th (Primera)
- Notable Signings: Salva Sevilla, Jon Guridi, Aleksandar Sedlar
- Fantasy Star: Salva Sevilla
- Segunda División 2022/23 Prediction: 4th
Alavés’ situation is very different to the other relegated clubs. They were the worst team in LaLiga last season and this summer was always going to be one of great change with large numbers of contracts expiring. Perhaps the best business they’ve done is getting Luis Garcia in and he’s clearly trying to replicate his promotion success with Mallorca in 2020/21 by setting his new-look team up in a defensive fashion with clean sheets high on the priority list. He also has Salva Sevilla in from Mallorca to provide some midfield quality but they may fall just short of the top two.
- Last Season: 17th
- Notable Signings: Carlos Izquierdoz, Fran Villalba, Cote
- Fantasy Star: Carlos Izquierdoz
- Segunda División 2022/23 Prediction: 5th
Sporting should be the most improved team in LaLiga SmartBank this season after a bitterly disappointing 17th place finish last term. They appear to have done some good business including convincing Abelardo to return as coach and with an improved side behind him, the prolific Djuka should score a lot of goals and lead their charge for a play-off place.
- Last Season: 3rd
- Notable Signings: Jon Bautista, Matheus Pereira
- Fantasy Star: Frederico Venâncio
- Segunda División 2022/23 Prediction: 6th
There was final day and play-off heartbreak for Eibar last season as they narrowly missed out on an immediate return to the top flight. They should be in the mix again, although in what may be a slightly stronger division, the play-offs may be as good as it gets for the Basque side in 2022/23 with Edu Exposito, now of Espanyol, a big loss in midfield.
- Last Season: 7th
- Notable Signings: Marcelo Flores, Sergi Enrich
- Fantasy Star: Borja Bastón
- Segunda División 2022/23 Prediction: 7th
We should see two Asturian teams in the play-off picture this season with Real Oviedo looking to build on a 7th place finish. They carry a goal threat with Borja Bastón up front and the signing of highly rated 18 year old Mexican Marcelo Flores on loan from Arsenal has captured the imagination of Oviedo fans but this is a club that specialises in near misses with finishes between 7th and 9th in 5 of the last 7 seasons.
- Last Season: 9th
- Notable Signings: Luca Sangalli, Aaron Escandell
- Fantasy Star: Pablo De Blasis
- Segunda División 2022/23 Prediction: 8th
Cartagena were one of the surprise packages last season, finishing in the top half of the second tier for only the second time this century. A play-off place may be just beyond them when you compare their budget to those of some other clubs but they still look a dangerous outfit on their day and could finish above midway again.
- Last Season: 10th
- Notable Signings: Makhtar Gueye, Victor Mollejo, Gabriel Fuentes
- Fantasy Star: Fran Gamez
- Segunda División 2022/23 Prediction: 9th
Real Zaragoza are now into their 10th consecutive season at this level which shows just how hard it can be for bigger clubs to get out of. This is their longest ever period outside the top flight but it’s doubtful whether they are going to really have enough quality to kick on from a 10th place finish last season with Juanjo Narváez a significant summer departure.
- Last Season: 8th
- Notable Signings: Jordan Lukaku, Adrián Diéguez
- Fantasy Star: Amir Abedzadeh
- Segunda División 2022/23 Prediction: 10th
Another of the Segunda’s small club success stories in recent years, Ponfe looked like genuine promotion contenders for much of last season. 2nd at the midway point, they eventually faded to 8th and coach Bolo has since departed to join Real Oviedo. They may drop back slightly this term with José Gomes taking over but look capable of a mid-table finish.
- Last Season: 1st (Primera RFEF Group 2)
- Notable Signings: Jandro Orellana, Diego Allende, Sinan Bakis
- Fantasy Star: Sinan Bakis
- Segunda División 2022/23 Prediction: 11th
Owned by Gerard Pique, FC Andorra have already made history by reaching the second tier for the first time ever and they have every chance of staying there. A number of players arrived on free transfers over the summer to bolster their promotion winning squad and they look capable of beating the drop by some margin with a passing game and former Barcelona assistant Eder Sarabia at the helm.
- Last Season: 5th
- Notable Signings: Borja Garces, Waldo Rubio, Nacho Martinez
- Fantasy Star: Jeremy Mellot
- Segunda División 2022/23 Prediction: 12th
Tenerife had an exceptional 2021/22 season with 11 away wins key in their ability to reach the play-offs where they defeated rivals Las Palmas before losing the Final to Girona. Like a lot of clubs, there has been a fairly high turnover of players during the summer though and it may be much harder for them to replicate last season’s top six finish in what looks a stronger division. A drop down into mid-table could be on the cards.
- Last Season: 11th
- Notable Signings: Curro Sanchez, Álex Bermejo
- Fantasy Star: José Caro
- Segunda División 2022/23 Prediction: 13th
Burgos made a fantastic return to the second tier after a 20 year absence with a mid-table finish last term. They might be expected to fall back a bit but their exceptional defensive foundations and strong organisation may see them defy expectations again under the leadership of impressive coach Julian Calero.
- Last Season: 3rd (Primera RFEF Group 2)
- Notable Signings: Diego Altube, Higinio Marin
- Fantasy Star: Juanma
- Segunda División 2022/23 Prediction: 14th
Albacete bounced back to the second tier at the first attempt and they look on course for a stronger season than their awful 2020/21 Segunda División campaign when they finished rock bottom. That wouldn’t be hard in truth, but this is still one of the more limited squads in the league and a bottom half finish is likely.
- Last Season: 13th
- Notable Signings: Kento Hashimoto, Aboubakary Kanté
- Fantasy Star: Andres Fernandez
- Segunda División 2022/23 Prediction: 15th
Huesca bucked the recent trend last season as a relegated team from LaLiga that did not immediately challenge for promotion. It was a season to forget and they go again this campaign under Cuco Ziganda’s guidance. After some notable departures including the impressive Jaime Seoane who has joined Getafe, it’s hard to see them doing any better this term.
- Last Season: 15th
- Notable Signings: Coke, Daniel Fuzato, Ze Carlos
- Fantasy Star: Herrera
- Segunda División 2022/23 Prediction: 16th
Only seven years old, UD Ibiza’s rise has been extraordinary, albeit funded by the deep pockets of owner Salvo. They survived their debut season in the second tier with relative comfort but still made a coaching change in the summer with Javier Baraja in and Paco Jemez departing. Seven loan signings bolster their squad but it could take some time for young players to bed in and they are likely to be in the bottom half again.
- Last Season: 18th
- Notable Signings: Fran Villalba, Juanfran, Ruben Castro
- Fantasy Star: Ruben Castro
- Segunda División 2022/23 Prediction: 17th
Some eyecatching business done by Malaga this summer as they bid to improve on three bottom half finishes in a row. The addition of 41 year old striker Ruben Castro, who fired in 20 goals for Cartagena last term, should give them greater firepower but they remain unconvincing defensively and may struggle to do significantly better this time around.
- Last Season: 16th
- Notable Signings: Jordi Calavera, Bruno Pirri
- Fantasy Star: Oscar Whalley
- Segunda División 2022/23 Prediction: 18th
Lugo are tipped for relegation just about every year but always seem to find a way to stay afloat. This season they do look light in some areas and keeper Óscar Whalley could be in for a busy year but that knack they have for winning relegation battles and maintaining their second tier status will come in handy.
- Last Season: 12th
- Notable Signings: Jorge Miramon, Dani Raba
- Fantasy Star: Ruben Pardo
- Segunda División 2022/23 Prediction: 19th
These are slightly worrying times for Leganes who don’t really look or feel like a club that was recently in the top flight any more. With few goal threats, there’s a risk they could be part of the relegation battle this term and if the newly promoted teams thrive, that could push them into genuine trouble.
- Last Season: 2nd (Primera RFEF Group 2)
- Notable Signings: Sergio Carreira, Mamadou Mbacke
- Fantasy Star: Sergio Lozano
- Segunda División 2022/23 Prediction: 20th
B teams generally struggle at this level, the most recent of which was Real Sociedad last season who ended up going down. Villarreal have one or two slightly more experienced players such as Fer Niño and Javi Ontiveros who could make big contributions but there will be weeks when many players are called up to senior duty, especially with European football, and the B team may struggle for the kind of continuity that might keep them up.
- Last Season: 1st (Primera RFEF Group 1)
- Notable Signings: Jordi Mboula, Inigo Vicente, German Sanchez
- Fantasy Star: Jordi Mboula
- Segunda División 2022/23 Prediction: 21st
Racing are a big club with a proud history but they’ve turned into something of a yo-yo outfit over the past decade between the second and third tiers. They can rely on passionate support at El Sardinero but on the pitch they still don’t fully convince at this level having triumphed in the Primera RFEF last season. A year of struggle looks likely.
- Last Season: 14th
- Notable Signings: Marcos Paulo, Nico Serrano
- Fantasy Star: Raul Navas
- Segunda División 2022/23 Prediction: 22nd
Mirandes have again gone big in the loan market with no fewer than 13 temporary additions this summer. There is some talent amongst them including highly rated Athletic Club prospect Nico Serrano but defensively they look weak and it’s going to be a tough task trying to mold all their young players into a competitive outfit at this level. Relegation looks likely.
For more info about some of these clubs or to plan a trip, head over to our Spanish football regions section which offers a look at life up and down the football pyramid in this country.